The Political Quarterly is delighted to announce Dave Richards from the University of Manchester and Martin Smith from the University of York as worthy winners of the Bernard Crick Prize for Best Piece 2015. The winning article is entitled ‘In Defence of British Politics Against the British Political Tradition’ (86, 1: 41-51)
The criteria from the judges were as followed:
- The Orwell test: Was the article written in good, clear English?
- The scholarship test: Was its knowledge base sound and well grounded?
- The Alzheimer test: Could I remember its contents clearly several days after reading it?
- The durability test: Is it likely to be read some years later, or was it just good current comment?
- The originality test: Did it have something distinctly new to say?
All of these criteria were fulfilled and the prize was given at the Orwell Prize Awards by co-editor Deborah Mabbett on 26 May at the University of Westminster. You can read the winning article here.